Are you trying to connect your new printer to your computer? Well, the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” is one of the common problems in Windows when you try to establish a connection between your printer and your PC or when you try to scan your system for a printer. This error is independent of the brand or model number of the printer, whether HP, Canon or Lexmark. You can also find this error if your printer is already installed, but you have updated it with new drivers.
Solutions for the problem “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” in Windows 10
See the next solution that will help you resolve the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable“. Even if you do not face this specific problem, the solutions are very standardized and can be useful when there is a problem with the printer.
Solution 1: Reset the printer print queue settings
Print Spooler is a software program responsible for managing all things related to printing on your computer. The program also allows you to interrupt a printing process and delete it if necessary. Therefore, it is an all-in-one tool to perform printing tasks for you and helps your Windows PC to interact with printers and manage print jobs in queues.
The first solution would be to reset the print queue settings to correct any printing problems. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the Run box using the Windows key + R button on your keyboard.
- Now type services.msc and press Enter, and this will open your Service window.
- Scroll down and right-click on Print Queue and click Start.
- Once you have started Printer Spooler, double click on it.
- On the General tab, go down to Startup Type and set it to Automatic. Click OK
- Now check if you can print your files.
Solution 2: Add the printer manually and update the drivers
Like restarting the PC, many Windows problems are resolved, removing the printer and then adding it again may work when you see the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable”
- Go to Control Panel> Devices and printers.
- Right-click on the name of your printer and click Remove device.
- Once your printer has been successfully removed from your system, click Add a printer.
- Then follow the instructions in the wizard that shows how to add a printer.
- Be sure to connect your printer to the PC. If you are on a wireless printer network, try connecting it to the PC via USB that can help if there is a problem with wireless connectivity.
- Once you have manually added the printer to your computer, make sure you have the updated drivers for your printer. Many times, when you do not have the appropriate or updated drivers, the printer may face problems and show the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable”
- The best option is to update the drivers manually.
- To do this, you must navigate to the official website of its manufacturer and download the latest drivers and make sure to save it in an accessible location.
- Open the execution box with the Windows key + R and type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Scroll down to Print queues and expand it.
- Right-click on the name of your printer and click on Update Driver.
- Then, select the option Search my computer for driver software.
- Click Browse and navigate to the file you just downloaded.
- Select the file and click Next.
- When the new driver is fully installed, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved. See our guide to addressing any problems or questions about Windows drivers you may have.
Solution 3: Grant your account full access to the printer and Windows ports
Sometimes, when the PC does not have full access to the devices, it may show an error such as “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable“. The solution here is simple. You must make some changes to Registry Editor and grant full access to PrinterPorts and Windows.
- Before doing this, you must create a restore point.
- Go to Windows Start and type Regedit, and this will start Registry Editor.
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER> Software> Microsoft> Windows NT> CurrentVersion
- Now, expand CurrentVersion and right-click on Devices and select Permissions.
- Now, check the Total Control box and click OK to make the changes.
- You must repeat these steps for both PrinterPorts and Windows to give them full permission.
Solution 4: Recognize the printer using other applications
Another solution by which you can resolve the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” is to recognize the printer using other applications such as Word, Paint or Notepad.
- Let’s take Paint to show how you can scan a printer through an application.
- Open Paint and click on the File option in the upper left corner.
- Now expand Print. You will see three options here: Print, Page Setup, Print Preview.
- Click on Print
- Now, let your system look for new printer devices.
- Click Search Printer.
- Windows will start detecting new printers, and this should show your printer device.
Solution 5: Run the printer’s integrated troubleshooter: perform troubleshooting logged in as an administrator
- Log in as an administrator on your PC and type Troubleshooting in the Windows search bar to go to the Troubleshooting Settings.
- Now navigate to Printers and click on it.
- You will see the option Run the troubleshooter.
- Click on it and follow the troubleshooting instructions to see if it resolves the error.
Hopefully, running the troubleshooter from the administrator account should be the trick. Still, if not, follow the same process with a user account (local).
Solution 6: Perform a system scan
If there are viruses and malware on your system, the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” may appear. The virus can affect the printer and, therefore, your system cannot detect your printer.
- You should perform a full system scan to see if malware is running on your PC and prevent access to the printer.
- You can use the built-in Windows Antivirus or Defender Firewall or third-party Antivirus software.
Solution 7: Make sure your operating system is up to date
Upgrading the operating system can do you a favor and help you resolve the error “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” in no time.
- To check for updates to your operating system, type update in the Windows search bar and it will take you to the Windows Update option.
- Click Check for updates. Make sure you have the latest version of Windows on your system, as Microsoft frequently releases new updates to make the system more stable with improved performance.
Solution 8: Update your Office Suite
One of the reasons why your system could not detect your printer may be associated with corrupt files in your Office Suite. Damaged files can create a barrier between your system and the printer, which leads to an error such as “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable“. Try updating Office Suite and see if it solves the problem and returns your printer to operational status.
Solution 9: Restart your router and add the printer again
When you receive an error such as “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” the last resort could be to restart your router. Restart your router and turn off the firewall.
- Now, wait a minute or two. Then, restart your computer and add your printer manually.
- To add a printer, go to Control Panel> Device and printers and click Add a printer.
- Windows will search for available printer devices, choose your printer and add it to your computer.
The solutions listed above will fix the “Active Directory Domain Services is Currently Unavailable” error in Windows. Since the printer is an external device that connects to your computer wirelessly or through a wired network, there may be several reasons to obtain this error.
Therefore, a specific solution cannot solve this problem. You may have to try more than a couple of solutions to get rid of this error. Let us know the solution that worked for you. And if your solution is not listed above, let us know your solution. We would be more than happy to add another answer to the problem.